Welcome to Room 19:
This is an old picture I found on the school website, but some of the kids I've been teaching are still there. In the front 2nd from the left we have Matthew. Then on the front far right we have Presley. In the back 2nd from the left we have Christian, Sam, Jeremy, Lance and then the 2nd from the right we have Noah. The picture is missing Kylanna, Emily, and Rudy.
I work(ed) at Falcon Hill elementary during "my summer" and came to love all of these kids. They are awesome! They all have autism except Kylanna. Today was my last day working with them before I leave for school and it was bittersweet really. I wanted to stay, to see them again...but of course school ruins anything fun! Let me introduce the class:
1. Jeremy-He is the most polite, positive, and cutest little asian ever! He makes me smile even when I am way too overly stressed or tired. I'm also really into his adorable girly handwriting.
2. Emily-Introducing asian number 2! She is SO SKINNY! I feel like any weight on her would break her. She is crazy and a little too energetic. We have to constantly remind her to 'calm her body'. She is also obsessed with animals.
3. Christian- Christian is moving onto junior high next year. He is so smart and the 'big brother' of the classroom. Need help with Dragonslayer video games? Ask Christian.
4. Rudy- Rudy doesn't talk. When he does it is very hard to understand him, but he is the sickest 9 year old beat boxer ever. His mom says he does it when he is happy. Way to be Rudy, because he does it everyday!
5. Kylanna-Oh Kylanna....Oh Kylanna. Kylanna isn't autistic, but she is something else entirely. She is independant and strong, and knows what she wants when she wants it. But when she smiles she becomes a whole different person. She is too cute when she smiles.
6. Lance- Lance is pretty quiet like Rudy, but really loves California and lets us know it. He has this strange attachment with his hat also...be warned...don't touch Lance's hat.
7. Samuel- Sam likes everything in order. He enjoys telling stories (very very long stories). He has issues with one of his arms and there is not much mobility, but he loves basketball and an arm isn't going to stop him from playing it!
8. Presley- Presley is a special spirit. She is as old as Christian, but will be staying in elementary school a bit longer. Her one love is Dora The Explorer and will do anything for her. She can communicate a little bit when she wants to. She loses focus easily and has her bad days, but she is as sweet as can be.
9. Noah- One of my favorites. He is so cute and makes really annoying noises with the most adorable face so it is hard to tell him to be quiet. He always says good morning to me and asks how I am. His favorite thing is to take Lance's hat. He is so proud of the school work he does right, and it's so awesome to see him showing everyone in the class his hard work.
10. Matthew-Save the best for last. We share a love/hate relationship. He wasn't diagnosed with autism until the fourth grade and then was bumped down to 2nd grade. How hard would that be? Matt pushes my button, and smiles while he does it. He's the worlds biggest suck up and you rarely win an argument, but always a sweetie. He wears the old styled black converse every single day and I love it. He hates my hair in a bun...and he made sure to tell me. He said I looked weird and proceeded to tell me I reminded him of (excuse my language) Fat Bastard from Austin Powers. Then he quickly told me I was much prettier with my hair down. So now whenever I wear my hair down he tells me how pretty I am and then takes of his own hat to shake his hair Justin Bieber style. Man I will miss that kid.
I know this post is way long, but I've been gone for a long time! I'm really going to miss working with those kids. It's gotten me thinking about special education. I'm still set on occupational therapy, but who knows maybe these kids will change my mind. Here are some more stories of how funny these kids are!
That's Jeremy closest to the camera. Today Lance let one loose and all of a sudden Jeremy and I looked at eachother and knew we both smelled the same thing. He then proceed to smell his own armpit, look back at me and say outloud "Well it's not me!" Lance looked over at us, said sorry, got up, then sprayed the bottle of Febreez on his butt.
Presley is closest to the camera. A few days ago, Ms. Natsyn and I were sitting outside with Presley. Presley noticed the goose bumps on Ms. Natsyn's arm and said "you have spots on your arm." We all thought it was funny, so I decided to give it a try. I asked Presley what the spots on my arms were called. She thought for a moment and then said, "you have brown chicken pox". There is always laughter at work.
Well if you haven't seen my facebook, I have officially been accepted into the ILP Program and after I fill out all the documents I will find out where I will be going to China this fall! I am really excited and nervous. Thank you to all who have sent a donation! In 9 days I will be back in The Burg. I guess I'm happy to go back? All my friends are coming home and I'm leaving. I would rather work then go back to school. I don't know anyone of my roommates, and most of the people I knew in the fall had winter track so none of them will be there. It's always good to start over right? Lets just get this semester over with.



No comments:
Post a Comment